Tuesday, April 26, 2011

When I was 18 I got my first job working at A&W. The guy running the place was an interesting guy to work for.

At the end of my interview I told him I wore hearing aids, and that it shouldn't affect my job. He then asked me, "So can you hear me when I talk?" this was after the interview, after I answered all of his questions...what a dumbass. So I said, "I just answered all of your questions in this interview. What do you think?" and I got up and left. I was more than a little pissed off, and more than surprised I got the job.

So one day after I close up the restaurant for the night I go outside to wait for my dad or someone to pick me up. I waited half an hour and then called home but the line was busy. I called again and again over the period of an hour or so, and still nobody came.

By now I figured I have to walk home. I'm standing here alone in the mall parking lot, and getting more and more scared and pissed off that nobody has come to get me.

Where I used to live in Nova Scotia, there was path by my place that lead to the mall where I worked. There were a lot of trees, a field, and a stream. Walking by yourself at night up that path is not always a good idea. But I had to do it.
I cant remember the last time I was ever so scared. I tried to follow the path the best I could, but I couldn't see anything. I ran into trees, tripped over everything and was worried that I was going to fall in the water and not be able to find my way out. It wasn't a very long path but I wasn't even sure I was going the right way, I was also nervous that someone was going to hurt me, and there wouldn't be a thing I could do because I couldn't see a thing. I'm getting more and more mad too, so that didn't help matters much.
Finally I make out of there and start heading home, as soon as I walked into the house I went downstairs where everyone was and saw John was on the phone still, and my mom and dad were both on their computers.

I can't remember ever freaking out on my parents so much in my life. I was so pissed off and still scared from walking in the woods by myself. I don't even remember what I said.

The next day when I went to school I told my awesome resource teacher Mrs. Burns what had happened, and she called some people in the CNIB.

They came to visit me at home, and I had to show them the path, and they both seemed pretty surprised that I walked it by myself at night. Within that week I had my own White Cane, and than also began learning some orientation and mobility at school. (which was awesome because I got to miss classes) but also was kind of frustrating because Debbie would show me what I had to do/learn and then blind fold me and then get me to do it.

I should really be using my cane more at night....

That's all for today!

No comments: